Is there one link, story, picture or thought that you saw online this week that you think somebody you know must see?
My friends: Alistair Croll (Solve for Interesting, Tilt the Windmill, HBS, chair of Strata, Startupfest, FWD50, and Scaletechconf; author of Lean Analytics and some other books), Hugh McGuire (Rebus Foundation, PressBooks, LibriVox) and I decided that every week the three of us are going to share one link for one another (for a total of six links) that each individual feels the other person “must see.”
Check out these six links that we’re recommending to one another:
- On The Spectrum: Thoughts on Zuckerberg, Tradeoffs, and Cultural Values – Casey Accidental. “The longer I spend running organizations, the more I conclude that culture is everything—and that organizations without any kind of culture are treading water. This post has a simple premise: Put your values on a spectrum, and then act accordingly. ‘Whether you update your company values to reflect these spectrums is not the point of this post. The point is to be intentional about the tradeoffs you’re making, and revisit them over time to make sure they still make sense, like Zuckerberg did.’ Good read.” (Alistair for Hugh).
- Things women have invented – @Flaminhaystack – Twitter. “It’s time for a Twitter thread. In response to a Forbes article that named 99 men and only one woman on its list of ‘most innovative leaders,’ here’s a great list of things women have invented and discovered—often despite having those accomplishments hidden, or stolen outright. Paper bags, Kevlar, Organizational Psychology, windshield wipers, marine signal flares, DNA, nuclear fission… It’s a good list, and I’m keeping it around, so when I talk about innovation I make sure I feature some of these. The stories are as fascinating as the innovations themselves.” (Alistair for Mitch).
- Being Nice in a Negotiation Can Backfire – Harvard Business Review. “Alistair is a very nice guy, but I bet he’s better at negotiations than I am (not hard). Here’s some advice: be less nice.” (Hugh for Alistair).
- Jimi Hendrix – Voodoo Child – Luna Lee – YouTube. “Here’s Luna rockin the gayageum (traditional Korean string instrument), covering some Hendrix.” (Hugh for Mitch).
- Shopify – Tobias Lutke – How I Built This – NPR. “I was there. I was there when Shopify became Shopify. I watched this company (and my friends) go from rugged startup to a company that has a larger market cap than eBay. They are not just friends, they have built something that is really changing the world, and enabling people to build their own lives and careers. This was a pleasure to listen to. And, yes, I was smiling from ear to ear the whole time.” (Mitch for Alistair).
- What reading slowly taught me about writing – Jacqueline Woodson – TED. “This was one of the TED Talks that I saw live in Vancouver last year that changed me. It is about slowing down. It is about reading. It is about writing. It is also about life… and living a life well-lived. Watch this… please.” (Mitch for Hugh).
Feel free to share these links and add your picks on Twitter, Facebook, in the comments below or wherever you play.