Is there one link, story, picture or thought that you saw online this week that you think somebody you know must see?
My friends: Alistair Croll (Solve for Interesting, Tilt the Windmill, HBS, chair of Strata, Startupfest, Pandemonio, and ResolveTO, Author of Lean Analytics and some other books), Hugh McGuire (PressBooks, LibriVox, iambik and co-author of Book: A Futurist’s Manifesto) and I decided that every week the three of us are going to share one link for one another (for a total of six links) that each individual feels the other person “must see”.
Check out these six links that we’re recommending to one another:
- ‘This is like paradise’: Seal Beach’s pay-to-stay program actively markets its jail, attracting deep-pocketed offenders – Los Angeles Times. “Got money? Doing time? Has Seal Beach got a deal for you! The jail in a sunny part of LA is pretty comfy — and if you can pay, you can serve your time there, turning incarceration into a sabbatical. ‘Why spend your jail sentence of 365 days or less at county?’ says one of their ads, promoting their computer rooms, clean beds, and flatscreen TVs. Have we reached peak capitalism yet?” (Alistair for Hugh).
- Games of Pawns – FBI. “What’s spying? It’s a slippery slope to recruitment, from writing articles to leaking information, and the FBI wants you to know what it looks like. This somewhat surreal film was produced by the FBI to shine a light on the Glenn Shriver case, showing how he was turned into an asset. It’s got some strange mood music and weird production values — but it’s pretty entertaining. In this era of accusations of spying and collusion, it’s also informative.” (Alistair for Mitch).
- Zeus: The Apology – The New York Review of Books. “In the latest shock ‘apology’ for sexual harassment, Zeus, (former?) ruler of all the Olympian gods, cops to a whole host of bad behaviour. Will this mea culpa save his career? I don’t think he’s done enough.” (Hugh for Alistair).
- Why dolphins are deep thinkers – The Guardian. “Octopi are my favourite sea creatures, but dolphins are pretty cool too.” (Hugh for Mitch).
- The secret lives of students who mine cryptocurrency in their dorm rooms – Quartz. “Some kids need to deliver pizza to pick up some extra beer money in college… others… well… they can become currently czars!” (Mitch for Alistair).
- Want To Be The Best Writer On The Planet? Do These 27 Things Immediately – Ryan Holiday – Medium. “This is just a great (and huge) list of things for everyone to think about to tell a better story. Yes, Ryan Holiday is focusing on writing here (a real passion of ours as well), this content applies to anyone who is trying to tell a story… and ensure that it gets done. Just tons of gold and inspiration here.” (Mitch for Hugh).