Is there one link, story, picture or thought that you saw online this week that you think somebody you know must see?
My friends: Alistair Croll (Solve for Interesting, Tilt the Windmill, HBS, chair of Strata, Startupfest, Pandemonio, and ResolveTO, Author of Lean Analytics and some other books), Hugh McGuire (PressBooks, LibriVox, iambik and co-author of Book: A Futurist’s Manifesto) and I decided that every week the three of us are going to share one link for one another (for a total of six links) that each individual feels the other person “must see”.
Check out these six links that we’re recommending to one another:
- The vintage beauty of Soviet control rooms – U Funk. “Love me some Bond Villain Architecture. Also, damn that’s good clipart.” (Alistair for Hugh).
- Utopia Inc. – Aeon. “I’m speaking at an event in Panama later this month called The Nature of Business. It’s run by Geoversity, and it looks at lessons that businesses can take from nature. As the child of zoologists, I’ve always thought about biological systems. But I think the ‘ ustainability’ narrative isn’t well defined – a monopoly waist-deep in lobbyists seems pretty sustainable these days — and it’s critical to remember that nature has lots of nasty ‘business models,’ such as predation and parasitism. This has made me look at why organizations and movements of all shapes and sizes don’t survive. This article (and another, an interview with John Turner in which he explains how much Silicon Valley was influenced by communes) fascinate me.” (Alistair for Mitch).
- How One Las Vegas ED Saved Hundreds of Lives After the Worst Mass Shooting in U.S. History – Emergency Physicians Monthly. “This is an incredible story about the nuts and bolts of how four emergency doctors handled 250+ bullet wounds in a Las Vegas hospital after the mass shooting in October 2017.” (Hugh for Alistair).
- Why Are You Even Reading That Tesla Announcement? – Bloomberg Gadfly. “I have a few shares of Tesla, and I’m a fan of the can-do chutzpah of Elon Musk (who went to Queens University, in Kingston, Ontario (!) while I was there– tho I never met him). But things have been tough translating dreams to reality. Bloomberg crunches the numbers.” (Hugh for Mitch).
- Chess’s New Best Player Is A Fearless, Swashbuckling Algorithm – FiveThirtyEight. “It’s a New Year! Is anyone else already fatigued over the constant editorializing on how algorithms are smarter than humans… will replace us humans… and more? I read articles like this, and all I can think to myself is: ‘fine, I quit… algorithms… take me away…’ And, I also think: ‘If these algorithms are so good, why is programmatic advertising still so bad?'” (Mitch for Alistair).
- The 100 best nonfiction books of all time: the full list – The Guardian. “Not sure that I have much to add after a headline like this from a publication that I respect like The Guardian. So… get some reading done!” (Mitch for Hugh).