Is there one link, story, picture or thought that you saw online this week that you think somebody you know must see?
My friends: Alistair Croll (Solve for Interesting, Tilt the Windmill, HBS, chair of Strata, Startupfest, FWD50, and Scaletechconf; author of Lean Analytics and some other books), Hugh McGuire (Rebus Foundation, PressBooks, LibriVox) and I decided that every week the three of us are going to share one link for one another (for a total of six links) that each individual feels the other person “must see.”
Check out these six links that we’re recommending to one another:
- The Strache Recordings – The Whole Story – Spiegel. “I was on a call with a public servant from Austria this week, working on a government technology conference. He said, ‘you probably know it’s a strange time in Austria.’ Strange is an understatement. In this wide-ranging article, which reads more like a spy movie than news, you’ll learn about a scandal that’s undermining politics in that country. Detailed recordings of collusion between Austria’s far-right party and an apparently investment-hungry niece of a rich oligarch include musings about taking over the national paper to sow disinformation and control news. But the real story—which hasn’t yet been written—is who set up the villa with bugs and video recordings?” (Alistair for Hugh).
- How Sackler Became the Most Toxic Name in Philanthropy – Town & Country. “If you have money from ill-gotten gains, must you disavow those gains? How do you distance yourself from the stain of the past? Reconciliation is a hot topic, but usually it’s generational. This time, not so much.” (Alistair for Mitch).
- Arming Teachers Won’t Make Schools Safer – Bloomberg. “What could possibly go wrong?” (Hugh for Alistair).
- Episode #159: The Mountain Goats – Song Exploder. “Song Exploder, the podcast where a musician deconstructs the creation of a song, is a favourite. John Darnielle explodes out ‘Cadaver Sniffing Dog’ in this episode.” (Hugh for Mitch).
- RealTalk: This Speech Synthesis Model Our Engineers Built Recreates a Human Voice Perfectly – Dessa – Medium. “Is It live or is it Memorex? What do you think? Does this sound exactly like Joe Rogan? I’m bullish on this kind of technology, but it’s not there yet. Take the most amazing CGI, and we can still tell that it’s not quite… human. Voice is the same. I love this stuff… it’s impressive, but…” (Mitch for Alistair).
- You’re simply not that big a deal: now isn’t that a relief? – Aeon. “Maybe this will get rid of any FOMO you have… or chasing likes and followers. Or, maybe this will shift your mindset away from constantly creating content or thinking about content or about your platform. Look, I love creating content, but it’s getting to be a little much. Here’s some (must needed) relief.” (Mitch for Hugh).