Welcome to episode #288 of Six Pixels Of Separation – The Twist Image Podcast. Is there any value in getting a degree in Marketing in this day and age? How well are the universities doing at providing an up-to-date curriculum to ensure that students graduating from Marketing are workplace ready? How has the digitization and New Media changed the way we educate our students about Marketing? Pushing this further, how are Marketers doing from the perspective of Marketing professors? Kenneth Wong is one of the leading marketing educators in the world. He holds the title of Associate Professor and Distinguished Professor of Marketing at Queen’s School of Business and sits on the board of directors (with me) at the Canadian Marketing Association. Along with publishing his work in books and magazines, he’s also a world-renowned speaker on Marketing, and if you’ve never seen his rant about "the margin sucking maggots," it is worth the price of admission alone. Enjoy the conversation…
Here it is: Six Pixels Of Separation – The Twist Image Podcast – Episode #288 – Host: Mitch Joel.
- Running time: 50:10.
- Please send in questions, comments, suggestions – [email protected].
- Hello from Beautiful Montreal.
- Subscribe over at iTunes.
- Please visit and leave comments on the Blog – Six Pixels of Separation.
- Feel free to connect to me directly on Facebook here: Mitch Joel on Facebook.
- or you can connect on LinkedIn.
- …or on twitter.
- Six Pixels of Separation the book is now available.
- Episode #41 of Media Hacks is coming soon and it might feature:
- Chris Brogan – New Marketing Labs – Co-author of Trust Agents, Man On The Go, Human Business Works, Third Tribe Marketing and Escape Velocity.
- C.C. Chapman – Managing The Gray – Digital Dads – Content Rules.
- Hugh McGuire – LibriVox – iambik audio – PressBooks.
- Christopher S. Penn – Blue Sky Factory – Marketing Over Coffee.
- Julien Smith – In Over Your Head – Co-author of Trust Agents.
- In conversation with: Kenneth Wong.
- Queen’s School of Business.
- Canadian Marketing Association.
- You can follow Ken Wong on Twitter.
- This week’s music: David Usher ‘St. Lawrence River’.
Download the Podcast here: Six Pixels Of Separation – The Twist Image Podcast – Episode #289 – Host: Mitch Joel.
This is great stuff, Mitch! I had the pleasure of hearing Ken Wong speak at a previous CMA conference, and this podcast did not disappoint. It will be very interesting to see which business schools will prove to have the foresight necessary to see how crucial it is to incorporate up-to-date marketing tactics and social communications in to the curriculum. Ken’s absolutely right when he says that the current processes are too slow in bringing in new material to classes. Business schools are going to have to adopt a much more fluid model in order to equip their students with the right tools for the environment they will be thrust in to when they graduate.
Congratulations for this fantastic podcast, very enlightening and inspirational at the same time!
I found it very interesting that with some of my marketing colleagues, it is really hard to discuss anything outside hard data. Hard data of course has a place in marketing understanding, but the recognition of patterns and an entrepreneurial drive have also a key role to play.
Comments are closed.