Every Monday morning at 7:10 am, I am a guest contributor on CHOM 97.7 FM radio out of Montreal (home base). It’s not a long segment – about 10 minutes every week – about everything that is happening in the world of technology and digital media. The good folks at CHOM 97.7 FM are posting these segments weekly on i Heart Radio, if you’re interested in hearing more of me blathering away about what’s going on in the digital world. I’m really excited about this opportunity, because this is the radio station that I grew up listening to, and it really is a fun treat to be invited to the Mornings Rock with Terry DiMonte morning show. The segment is called, CTRL ALT Delete with Mitch Joel.
This week we discussed:
- Apologies for the sound at the beginning of this week’s segment… we were getting some intense echo on the phone connection.
- A busy week ahead, it looks like I am the only person from Montreal attending this year’s TED conference in Vancouver. The event runs from Tuesday to Saturday. We will have the full report next Monday!
- Spotify went public last week. While the music streaming company has posted good revenue growth over the last three years, it’s still not making any net revenue. They’re paying high royalties to the major record labels and have big operating costs. Shares now sit at the $147 dollar range giving them a market cap of $27.15 billion. So, is the music business dead… or is this the new model?
- Right now, we see “voice” as the next generation of how humans with interact with technology. Apple is one of the tech companies that is leading the way with Siri. With that, it appears that Apple is pushing things even further, as they are working on touchless control and curved screens… the future is going to so cool!
- Amazon vs. Donald Trump. Is this about fair taxes, a fairer retail environment, something better for the US Post Office, and more work for Americans? Or, is it about the fact that Amazon’s Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post? Is this more about the US President and media criticism? Or – and this could be painful to admit – but is the US President (regardless of why he’s doing this) right about the size of Amazon, and how it needs to be regulated, broken up or dealt with?
- App of the Week: Mimi Hearing Test.