Is there one link, story, picture or thought that you saw online this week that you think somebody you know must see?
My friends: Alistair Croll (Solve for Interesting, Tilt the Windmill, HBS, chair of Strata, Startupfest, FWD50, and Scaletechconf; author of Lean Analytics and some other books), Hugh McGuire (Rebus Foundation, PressBooks, LibriVox) and I decided that every week the three of us are going to share one link for one another (for a total of six links) that each individual feels the other person “must see.”
Check out these six links that we’re recommending to one another:
- Solar-powered desalination plant in Kenya gives fresh water to 25,000 people a day – Big Think. “A while back I shared a link on Ramez Naam‘s work around abundant energy. Basically, in some parts of the world, on some days, we’ve hit a tipping point where solar energy puts more back into a grid than it takes out. And those days and places are growing fast. Abundant energy matters a lot because it makes desalination (fresh water!) and vertical farming (plants!) and lab-grown meat (protein!) far cheaper, since energy is a major input. Here’s an example of that in the real world—solar energy bringing fresh water to Kenya.” (Alistair for Hugh).
- Excursion within the “Sarcophagus” – Chornobyl NPP – YouTube. “Liked the HBO series Chernobyl? Want to see more? Well, you can’t, because it’s radioactive. But here’s the next best thing: A tour of the building based on the scale model in the visitor center. Lots of love went into this.” (Alistair for Mitch).
- How long are an owl’s legs? – PBS. “They are this long. What???” (Hugh for Alistair).
- The 70-year-old retiree who became America’s worst counterfeiter – The Hustle. “Making crappy fake $1 bills as a retirement project.” (Hugh for Mitch).
- Timber pavilions and other-worldly installations animate the plains at Burning Man 2019 – Dezeen. “Alistair has been at Burning Man. He sent me weeks of links in advance of his departure. I’ve never been to Burning Man, and I have no plans to ever go (I’m more into air-conditioning, wifi, and cities than camping and such). Still, I love the design and architecture that takes at Burning Man. So, there’s this. And, it’s pretty amazing. I can just imagine what it’s like to experience it all in person.” (Mitch for Alistair).
- You Ask, I Answer: Equipment to Video Record Speeches? – Awaken Your Superhero. “I have been friends with Christopher S. Penn for close to fifteen years. While he is a master at martial arts, I call him ’Ninja’, because when I have a technical question (about anything), he not only has a good answer, he has the right answer (and it comes from experience). His brain and his heart are equally massive. A few weeks back, we were both speaking at the Marketing Artificial Intelligence Conference in Cleveland. I was really taken aback by the portable rig that Chris travels with to capture his own presentations. I was especially blown away by the DJI Osmo Pocket camera. Totally blew my mind). So, if you want to record video, and don’t know where to start… here ya go.” (Mitch for Hugh).