Every Monday morning at 7:10 am, I am on air at CHOM 97.7 FM radio out of Montreal (home base). It’s not a long segment – about 10 minutes every week – about everything that is happening in the world of technology, digital media and culture. The good folks at CHOM 97.7 FM are posting these segments weekly on i Heart Radio, if you’re interested in hearing more of me blathering on about what’s happening in the digital world. I’m really excited about these weekly hits, because this is the radio station that I grew up listening to, and it really is a fun treat to be invited to the Mornings Rock with Terry DiMonte morning show. The segment is called, CTRL ALT Delete with Mitch Joel.
This week we discussed:
- We spent years talking about how bad too much screen time is for kids. Now, if your kid is distant learning (like ours), they are on their laptops (usually alone, in their room) from 9 am – 3 pm. Beyond that, kids seem to be on screens all day now. So, screens are now our saviors? This is something I have been thinking about (a lot). The Washington Post has too. They published an article titled, ‘Screen time’ has gone from sin to survival tool. Are screens good or bad for us?
- I wrote an article about how to rock your Zoom (or video conference) meetings. Let’s review some of the tips and gear that can make you a video conferencing rock star: How To Rock Zoom Meetings In 10 Easy Steps.
- ESPN tries to get celebrities to join their Zoom and it’s hilarious.
- Every sporting event and league is shut down. But not Nascar? Well, kind of. Have you seen their virtual races and the iRacing model (Twitch and beyond)? It’s incredible. Here’s an article from The New York Times about it: The Best Thing About NASCAR’s Virtual Races Might Be the Real Competition.
- App of the Week: WeTransfer.
You can also listen in via I Heart Radio.