Every Monday morning at 7:10 am, I am on air at CHOM 97.7 FM radio out of Montreal (home base). It’s not a long segment – about 10 minutes every week – to decode the future. We discuss everything that is happening in the world of technology, digital media and culture. The good folks at CHOM 97.7 FM are posting these segments weekly on i Heart Radio, if you’re interested in hearing more about what’s happening in the transformation of our digital world. I’m really excited about these weekly hits, because this is the radio station that I grew up listening to, and it really is a fun treat to be invited to the Mornings Rock with Terry DiMonte morning show. The segment is called, CTRL ALT Delete with Mitch Joel.
This week we discussed:
- Most tech stories this week pale in comparison to NASA‘s Perseverance rover landing on Mars. The rover is even tweeting (“I’m safe on Mars. Perseverance will get you anywhere.”), and it wasn’t long after hitting the martian ground that we saw the first pictures. I have a hard time getting decent cell reception in certain rooms in my house, so how we can easily (and quickly) get content from Mars makes my head explode.
- How many “Fit Pics” are you posting these days? These are not those self-indulgent, no shirt or workout pics. A Fit Pic is, simply, when you take a picture of what you’re wearing from head to toe. According to The Wall Street Journal, some of Instagram‘s biggest fashion influencers are big on the #fitpic. So, who is shooting these non-selfie photos? Your kids, a partner, a stranger? Welcome to the latest photo and fashion fad.
- There is nothing more mesmerizing than chain reaction videos. You know the ones: A ball rolls into a cup, the cup falls over, it hits some dominoes, and the next thing that you know, you’re stunned by the complexity of these Rube Goldberg machine videos. They’ve gone from art to humor to these new, weird, and funny video collages attempting to make a simple action (like a morning routine) into a viral and hilarious YouTube sensation. Joseph Herscher and his Jospeh’s Machine YouTube channel may be one of the best.
- WFH. Virtual work. Home office. Those terms have become our reality over the past year. So, this begs the question: As vaccines and therapeutics become more widely available, is this the end of the high profile office? Will the office of tomorrow affect our business in a different way?
- App of the Week: Clubhouse – drop-in chat audio.
You can also listen in via I Heart Radio.
Before you go… if you enjoyed this, please subscribe (all new content arrives in your inbox). It’s easy, it’s free and it’s right here.