Every Monday morning at 7:10 am, I am a guest contributor on CHOM 97.7 FM radio out of Montreal (home base). It’s not a long segment – about 5 to 10 minutes every week – about everything that is happening in the world of technology and digital media. The good folks at CHOM 97.7 FM are posting these segments weekly on iHeart Radio, if you’re interested in hearing more of me blathering away about what’s going on in the digital world. I’m really excited about this opportunity, because this is the radio station that I grew up on listening to, and it really is a fun treat to be invited to the Mornings Rock with Terry DiMonte morning show. The segment is called, CTRL ALT Delete with Mitch Joel.
This week we discussed:
- This week Pierre Landry sits in for Terry DiMonte.
- Almost 6000 people attended the 3-day creativity and commerce conference known as C2 MTL last week. I managed to attend a lot of it. It was sold out. Is this $3000+ event worth it? How was the content? What were the major themes?
- Facebook is getting bigger and much more powerful. They know more about you than most realize. Last week, the BBC reported on a new external research report that looked at how Facebook operates and controls your data: “from the links we post on Facebook, to the pages we like, to our online behaviour in many other corners of cyber-space that are owned or interact with the company (Instagram, WhatsApp or sites that merely use your Facebook log-in) – could all be entering a giant algorithmic process.” All of it owned by one company: Facebook.
- Apple takes everything seriously. Including it’s pizza. It turns out, a patented pizza box to ensure great taste and a lack of sogginess is just another one of the perks that Apple delivers.
- App of the Week: Spinner.