Welcome to episode #444 of Six Pixels Of Separation – The Twist Image Podcast. On Monday, January 26th, 2015 in Toronto, I will be taking part in a live public debate with Andrew Keen abut the value and merits of the Internet. The event will be moderated by GigaOm‘s Mathew Ingram and will act as a kickoff to this year’s Advertising Week. It’s strange to call this a debate, as there are many concepts that Andrew presents in his latest book, The Internet Is Not The Answer, that are important issues we all need to think about, and be prepared for. Still, Andrew believes that the Internet has actually created “an increasingly fragmented society, a digital echo chamber, in which people are more and more isolated from anyone, particularly those with different opinions and beliefs.” I am much more bullish and hopeful as to what it is… and what it is becoming. Keen has long been a smart contrarian when it comes the over-exuberance that some people have for the Internet (I’m one of those excitable types). His books, The Cult Of The Amateur, Digital Vertigo, and now, The Internet Is Not The Answer have earned him the title, “the Anti-Christ of Silicon Valley.” It’s a title that he feels comfortable with, so long as his thinking challenges what we think we know about technology, and whether it ultimately is good for us, as a society. Enjoy the conversation…
- Running time: 1:02:01.
- Please send in questions, comments, suggestions – [email protected].
- Hello from Beautiful Montreal.
- Subscribe over at iTunes.
- Please visit and leave comments on the blog – Six Pixels of Separation.
- Feel free to connect to me directly on Facebook here: Mitch Joel on Facebook.
- or you can connect on LinkedIn.
- …or on twitter.
- Six Pixels of Separation the book is now available.
- CTRL ALT Delete is now available too!
- Here is my conversation with Andrew Keen.
- Advertising Week debate between Andrew Keen and me in Toronto.
- The Internet Is Not The Answer.
- The Cult Of The Amateur.
- Digital Vertigo.
- Follow Andrew on Twitter.
- This week’s music: David Usher ‘St. Lawrence River’.
- Get David’s song for free here: Artists For Amnesty.
Download the Podcast here: Six Pixels Of Separation – The Twist Image Podcast – Episode #444 – Host: Mitch Joel.